In nature, mold contributes to the breakdown and decay of organic materials. It is not so helpful when it grows indoors. It can survive anywhere there is moisture, particularly in bathrooms, kitchens, attics, and basements. Mold causes damage to surfaces and also exacerbates asthma, allergies, and other health issues. If you suspect that mold is growing in your living spaces, take action immediately. Call a professional inspector if you notice any of these signs of mold in your home.
Health Symptoms Can Indicate Mold in Your Home
If you are sneezing and coughing while you’re at home, you may have a mold problem. If you notice your symptoms improve when you leave the house, it is even more likely that you have mold growth in the home. Mold isn’t always visible; it is often hidden beneath surfaces. Because of this, health symptoms may be the only clue that mold is growing in your home.
Another sign that indicates mold in the home is an odor. Don’t ignore a musty smell simply because you cannot see mold. It could be hidden in the wall, beneath the sink, or under the carpeting.
Visual Signs of Mold in Your Home
The most obvious sign is actually seeing the mold. You may notice spots and streaks on sinks, pipes, tubs, walls, and other areas that have contact with moisture. The spots can be almost any color and grow in various patterns. Some varieties grow in patches, while others grow in stripes and streaks. Simply wiping mold away doesn’t solve the problem. Depending on the surface, you may be able to use vinegar, borax, or bleach to eliminate it. The mold spores must be killed or they will continue to return and spread. A serious mold infestation needs to be treated by a mold mitigation professional.
Don’t risk your family’s health or your home’s good condition by allowing a mold problem to persist. If you notice any signs of mold in the home, call a professional to schedule a mold inspection.